The Colour Orange

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Theta Sigma
Companion
Companion

PostSubject: The Colour Orange   Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:12 pm

"W-what? Are you kidding me??"

Theta shot up from his seat, giving the chessboard in front of him an incredulous look. Sitting on the park chair across from him sat a black haired youth that looked about the same age as he. This man, George, looked like he'd walked straight out of an old-timers convention; he was dressed in the garb of a wealthy 18th century man, fine suit and all. George appeared slightly worried at Theta's reaction to the game of chess they had been playing, gaze alternating between the board, Theta, and the frankly disturbing sight of so many New York women wearing pants, walking around the park so nonchalantly, as if they weren't... weren't dressing like men.

"Mister Theta, are you alright? You seem troubled by the outcome of this game. Perhaps it will console you to know that I have long played chess with my tutors, not many have so nearly beat me as you have"

Theta only sighed and sat back down in his chair, glaring at the board that plainly spelled checkmate, George's remaining white pieces surrounding his own black king. He supposed that it wasn't that hard to imagine someone beating him at chess; he'd never been all that exceptional at it. It's just, the fact that he was a timelord, beat in an intellectual game by a non-timelord...that's what got on his nerves a bit. He was sure all the legions of dead timelords would be rolling in their graves right about now, perturbed by his humiliating chess defeat at the hands of a simple Kamorian.

Well...he might be being a little overdramatic about the whole thing, but his imagination was free to do what it pleased, thank you very much.

"Excuse me, but I really must be getting back to my own time. Tina promised she'd be making biscuits, and I wouldn't wish to miss that" with a flash of a vortex manipulator, Theta's chess partner was gone, off to 1776 or 1778 or whichever year was currently his own. The timelord sighed and slumped in his seat, idly rocking one of the white pawns with a finger till it tipped over and rolled, as if wanted to escape from its table-y confines.

The time was March 3, 2015. It was a particularly nippy day for New York, enough to make many of it's occupants don warm coats and mittens. The city was bustling as ever; horns honking, sirens in the distance, the presence of the crowds that is an ever constant background noise, yelling, talking, stomping on the ground and causing the ground to quiver just the slightest bit.

Last edited by Theta Sigma on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Student
Student

PostSubject: Re: The Colour Orange   Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:50 pm

If a random pedestrian were to view a certain New York park on a certain day, from a distance, they'd see a large furry object sitting on the grass. But if they came closer to the strange brown thing, naturally out of curiosity, they'd see that it had a head, hands, even legs.

The "thing" was the doctor, decked out in an oversized fur coat. He was sitting cross legged on the ground and playing a tune on his recorder, striped like a barber pole with blue and cyan. In front of him sat a dark brown top hat, flipped over to reveal the inside, where a collection of quarters, dollar bills of different denominations, and other assorted coins sat. The music he was playing was a peaceful contradiction to the usual loud, chaotic chorus of the city.

The doctor had wanted a hot dog. He'd also wanted to attend the 1939 New York World's Fair, but found that he was 70 years too late. The hot dog was still accessible however. He always checked the Tardis readings before exiting his ship, and found that they indicated low temperatures. So he donned his fur coat and a top hat, and headed outside. The Tardis was well hidden in the basement of a coffee shop, and the doctor had snuck out the back.

He'd forgotten inflation, and had far too little to pay for his dog. So he'd wandered the park thinking of any places in the Tardis where he might've left some spare American change. Then he'd noticed street performers getting paid for their work. Smiling at this opportunity, the doctor fetched his recorder from his pocket. He chose a grassy space in the park, st the top hat out, and began playing.

In no time at all, the doctor's expert playing of the recorder had netted him a reasonable collection of about $18. As he walked back to the stand, holding the top hat in one hand, and sifting through his small collection with the other, he couldn't help but smile at his success.

He dropped the hat. Near him sat a collection of park chairs and tables. Two men had been playing a game of chess on one of the tables, but one of them, dressed in 18th century garb had suddenly vanished. Yet it wasn't the vanishing part that had caught the doctor's attention. He was shocked because the man had used a vortex manipulator. He recognized that flash. Of all things, the doctor had to admit, he hadn't expected that.

Last edited by 625 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Alonso Frame
Beginner
Beginner

PostSubject: Re: The Colour Orange   Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:37 pm

Alonso wanted to leave this planet. Like right now! Theta had brought back from the past some the guy from 1700's Earth to play chess with in current day, and it had to be on Earth. Mind you, Alonso has been rather curious about Earth since the Titanic incident. Unfortunately, he had mentioned that, and Theta whisked away them to here.

Now Earth wasn't necessarily a bad place, it was just certain aspects of the society that REALLY annoyed him. Like the fact that walking across a street involved inhaling fumes that made him retch. He wouldn't even get started on the inefficiency of the centralized government after reading a newspaper. Also, on a small note, the atmosphere made it so that it just a bit more difficult to take in O2, as there was less of it on Earth then on Sto, so he was also a bit light-headed.

He conceded to Theta though, and now had some popcorn (which he pronounced "POPE-corn") in his hand, watching as Theta and the man played chess. The popcorn was so foreign to him, and they applied this yellow substance to it, which they called butter, which made it taste even more weird. He did enjoy it though, and was already halfway done with it when Theta lost the game, him chuckling at Thetas reaction. "Oh, c'mon now Theta, don't be a bad sport," he said, grinning widely.

He watched as the man left, and was glad for that, though instantly he felt bad for being glad he was gone. He was so...traditionalist about certain things, and it got on Alonso's nerves. Normally he would mind, but the lack of oxygen was probably getting too him.

He held out some popcorn to the timelord. "Here you go, as a consolation prize, some popcorn, slathered in butter, which I just learned is the fat reside from certain animals," he said, rather proud of learning that fact.
Back to top Go down
Theta Sigma
Companion
Companion

PostSubject: Re: The Colour Orange   Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:26 pm

"Mmm, thanks Alonso, I love things slathered in fat reside" Despite the sarcastic tone, he was smiling brightly as he took a handful of the kernels for his own. The Timelord gestured towards the seat across from him and mumbled a sentence from behind his food, the words only vaguely sounding like 'have a seat'.

"So" Theta stole a few more of the kernels, then decided he should stop before his companion swatted his hand away "How are you liking New York? I know it's smoggy and not at all like New New York, but I'm sure you're finding some interesting things, right? I hear they've sometimes got street performers 'round the park, we could always search out one or two of them. Or, or, we could go see the Statue of Liberty! I think the Doctor mentioned once that she was a weeping angel... but there's always people looking at her, though, so I'm sure it's fine"

Beginner
Beginner

PostSubject: Re: The Colour Orange   Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:02 pm

Alonso sat down, chewing on the popcorn some more, swallowing before speaking. "It's...alright, I suppose. They are so much different here. I mean, they have vehicles on the ground, and the carcinogens they spew off is like per-Enlightened Sto The governing systems on this planet are completely insane. Oh, and biggest problem...the atmosphere is so very thin, have to breathe shallower and faster to get as much breathe." He drilled on, labellings some of the more annoying aspects, before going on to some of the better ones. "I will say though, their architecture isn't bad. I do love the food. They have this thing called a "hot-dog", but it's not made out of a canine, but the muscles of a pig, whatever that is. If you add "catsup", it tastes even better. It's brilliant! Oh, and I do like the music...mind you, they could do away with some of the repetitiveness, but still. Oh, and they have these sensory houses here, which surprised me. They call them "flower shops" and the aroma is just so...well," he said, blushing a bit," anyways, it surprised me is all."

His ears caught the word statue and weeping angel, and he shivered a bit. His dad had some stories on them, and remembering the unnerved him a bit. However, it did sound interesting. "Hmmm, I would like to see this Statue that proclaims Liberty. I did hear some people talk about it earlier as I went to get the popcorn with animal fat. Though, I hope you are right when you say it won't get us. I heard a little-un say it was thousands of feet high...I would be very frightened if it came after us."
Back to top Go down
Student
Student

PostSubject: Re: The Colour Orange   Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:12 pm

The doctor picked up the hat and any coins that had rolled out. But an examination of the hat's contents revealed that one more coin was still missing: the half dollar. The doctor looked around hurriedly for it, worried that someone had already picked it up. His hunt came to an end when he saw the glint of the coin under a nearby table.

As it so happened, it was the same table where the oddly dressed man had disappeared recently. And it was currently occupied by two other men. One of them had been playing a game of chess with the time traveler, the other had recently taken a seat at the table. Not wanting to interrupt their conversation, the doctor snuck over and quietly got on his hands and knees. The two men began to talk about New York. One of them, the newcomer, was obviously not from this era.
With a confident slap his hand closed around the half dollar. He chuckled as he picked it up, glad that he hadn't lost the 50 cent piece. But in his haste he stood up, and forgetting where he was, bumped his head against the underside of the table.

"OOF!" The doctor slid out from under the table and rubbed the back of his head as he glanced between the two men. His cover had been blown. He dropped the half dollar into his hat and slipped it in the crook of his arm. "Hello..." he said to the two, smiling awkwardly, the embarrassment evident his greeting.

Back to top Go down
drealynn
Student
Student

PostSubject: Re: The Colour Orange   Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:35 am

The streets were bustling with activity as Jennifer wandered around New York. For once she was not doing anything crazy but enjoying a relaxing day. Spotting some tables with chessboards set up she decided to sit for awhile. Hopefully the boredom would not cause bad memories. She giggled silently at the strange man dressed in a fur coat bumping his head under one of the tables. "Are you okay mister?" she called eager to have some fun. (this is my first rp any issues please let me know)
Back to top Go down
Theta Sigma
Companion
Companion

PostSubject: Re: The Colour Orange   Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:55 am

The Doctor bumping his head on the table caused the pieces on the board to be disrupted; pawns and bishops and castles clattered sideways and rolled around, many to the edge, and Theta only attempted to catch one or two before he decided it was a lost cause to retrieve all of them at once. He set the pieces he did catch back on the table (a bishop, 2 pawns, and a queen) then turned his gaze up to the individual who had had the unfortunate experience of bumping their head. Well, looking up wasn't the right word for it; the man was rather short, and Theta found himself thinking he'd make a good munchkin. He chuckled and gave a glance to the short man's head.

"Are you alright? That seemed like a pretty nasty bump" his eyes drifted down to the man's bowtie, and he couldn't help but smile at the 'cool' accessory "nice bowtie, by the way"

Thet paused for a second, something striking him as...off about the man. Not weird or odd off, but a familiar and not sure why off. And when he glanced into the man's eyes, he just kind of knew. This was a Doctor, though which incarnation, he had no clue. He'd met eight of the doctors before, and the type of presence that they radiated was quite unmistakable after you learned what it felt like. And after a quick mental touch, his suspicions were confirmed. Of course, the Doctor had probably sensed the nudge (Thet was quite inexperienced at psychic stuff) but that wouldn't really matter; he didn't have anything to hide, anyways. Theta's grin returned.

"So, who are you, then?"

Student
Student

PostSubject: Re: The Colour Orange   Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:41 pm

The doctor heard a call coming from one of the chess tables. He turned and smiled warmly towards the woman, "Yes, I'm perfectly all right!" He called back. Then he turned his attention back to the chess boards. His accident had caused some of the pieces to tumble to the ground, and he hastily collected the ones not caught by the other man, shoving the back onto the table with a quick apology.

The doctor looked over the two men. Compared to them he felt conspicuous in his choice of clothing. One of them had a tub of popcorn, the other a bowtie. "Oh I'm alright." He said with a relieved grin while rubbing the part of his head that had impacted the table. The man with the bowtie complimented his own and he felt obliged to return the accolade. "Thanks, yours isn't bad either."

He seemed familiar somehow, perhaps they'd already met before? He was a time lord that was obvious enough. Time lords could always tell each other apart from humans. The doctor suddenly felt a psychic nudge, small but still noticeable, as if the man in front of him was asking him a wordless question. He glanced knowingly back at him. "Have I met you before? I'm the doctor by the way." He said, extending a hand.
Back to top Go down
drealynn
Student
Student

PostSubject: Re: The Colour Orange   Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:50 am

"I'm Jennifer I'm sure I have something for your poor head, and Doctor who?"
Jennifer was rather excitable not even realizing she was seriously intruding in some kind of understanding between the two men. Digging into her purse she pulled out tape, a wallet, a phone and finally a small icy hot bandage.
"Here, this will help I've had my share of injuries myself." she passed the bandage to The Doctor.
Jennifer stared at the other man now that she thought about it did she know him? (is this before or after valentine?)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Colour Orange   

Back to top Go down

The Colour Orange
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1