Just Another Boring Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Archiving and Artifice
Student
Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Kat answers without looking at the waitress, occupied by the act of reading once more. "Fish and chips for me too, but two orders of it, along with three plain hamburgers, and two sprites in the largest cups as you have." She paused to look at the menu. "I... Yah, that's all!" She returned to her book. It became quickly evident that Kat might not be thin because she eats carefully, but because she doesn't eat regularly.
We didn't realize how hungry we were until we could smell the food!
It seems to often go that way, doesn't it?

She traces her fingertips over the page she's reading and glances up at Robin. "Are you innocent?" Kat said it abruptly, and with no warning, like the thought had came to her very suddenly.
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:23 pm

Both Robin and the waitress raised their eyebrows at Kat, Robin looking over her thin figure and feeling pity for her. The waitress read over her list, tapping her pen to her lips. "So 3 orders of fish and chips, 2 plain burgers, and 2 large Sprites?" Ignoring the fact that her drink was forgotten, Robin nodded and the waitress was off. Turning to the odd girl, she opened her mouth to ask if ahe was okay and ended up being cut off by her question. Innocent? "Depends on your definition. I'm about as innocent as I can be while still surviving I guess. I've broken tons of laws all over the Universe, though, so..." She shrugged, thinking back on what she'd done. Okay... Not super innocent, but she was still a kid so she automatically was perceived as such by most of the population. So... Now she was confusing herself c

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:11 pm

"You're not understanding my question. Breaking a law doesn't rob you of your innocense, what takes that away is the kind of acts that make you darker. Things that you know are making your mind just a little more fragile. Things that start to strip you of morals until nothing matters." Kat looked at Robin seriously.
I've done those things...
When did we stop being innocent?
Long enough ago to forget.

Why was she asking this? Perhaps it was because it had been a while since she had known anyone who was closer to innocence than her. Perhaps it was because she wanted to protect this one if she hasn't become tainted yet, Kat couldn't be sure.
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:32 pm

Robin nearly facepalmed. In her defence, she barely made it past middle school before she was given to Torchwood. "Well then I have no clue. I've seen some of the people around me get darker, though..." She thought back to Sonya, and even Mal a tiny bit. She wished she could help them, but it was too late. Maybe not for Sonya, she could still regenerate, but I that made it better or worse or even effected it at all was a mystery to her. Not like she ever wanted to see the Time Lord ever again anyway. "I don't know." That was her final answer. She really didnt know, but she guessed that if she lost any of her innocence, it'd be something Torchwood took away. Breaking rules was as far as she'd go, but she wasn't a sick animal like Sonya...

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:05 pm

"That's better than some answers." Kat closes her eyes and sighs lightly, suddenly feeling very tired. "You can never have it both ways, can you? Getting to abandon normality comes with a price."
We payed a price.
That I did.
Why do we keep saying I?
Who knows?

She opened her eyes and looked around the room, the faint strings of golden light hanging around everyone reflected in her pupils. These people didn't understand the meaning of "life's not fair." Not a single one of them. They were all so normal, so horribly mundane. All they knew was life as a normal human. They were all so insufferably stupid!
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:51 pm

Robin sighed, leaning back in her chair and waiting for their meals. The sooner they got here, the better. This was simply too long sitting in one place, and even if she did get a decent meal out of it, it wasn't worth it. She frowned, feeling something bump against her foot. The really odd part of it was that she was too short for her feet to touch the ground. Looking down, she saw nothing. Absolutely nothing. Weird... She glanced at Kat, an eyebrow raised. "Did you hit my foot?" Maybe the girl was as bored as she was and decided to do that for some reason? She vaguely wondered if hoping that it was aliens was bad...

((Short reply is short, but im being vague because my current idea could not be any less creative.))

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:00 am

Kat lslowly shook her head and got up from her seat to crouch down and look under the table. "I didn't, no..." She was still very much distracted by her thoughts, but tried to focus on the task at hand. That task wasn't inspecting the bottom of the table, it was enjoying herself. Her thoughts drifted back to the vortex manipulator mentioned earlier. Did it only travel in time? Could she use it to just leave? That would be an incredible luxury. The ability to come and go as she pleased. The ability to take a nice, long vacation... maybe ten years or so.
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Robin frowned, crossing her arms and pulling her legs up into her chair just in case. "Weird," She declared lamely, shrugging her shoulders and staring down at a crumb still left on the table. When was the food gonna get there? Well, she should cut them some slack, they did just order a meal fit for like, 5 people. Her eyes drifted around the room, studying a few people and trying to pick out whatever she could until she gave up. The TV was rather boring, looked like some talk show? No, they were doing interviews... Whatever kind of show THAT was... Wow she needed to catch up on Earth customs. At least London, that's the only place she ever seemed to end up. Unable to remain still this long, she let out a long sigh, waiting to see if Kat would notice, or care, really. Nope. "I'm just gonna wander about for a bit. This is too boring." With that, she stood up and strode away from the table, glancing from side to side and trying to find something vaguely interesting. Too bad no one was obviously an alien, everyone here was too normal. Then again, she was an alien to them, so for all she knew, someone was just very good at hiding. Tuning out the odd stares she was collecting, she continued her walk through the restaurant in silence.

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:07 pm

Kat gives a wave goodbye and sits back down, returning to her book. For some reason, her thoughts had decided to take this moment to dive into a moral conflict. She tried not to talk to herself about it and focused on the pages of her book. Lines and lines of knowledge were before her, revealing all sorts of new tricks and secrets. Actually, reading this particular book was just making it harder to not think about the conflict. Kat snapped it shut and looked over to Robin, who had begun walking about.
We wonder what her role in life is... She mentioned time travel.
Time agent? Tourist? Time travel doesn't really narrow it down.
True...
Can... we take her method of travel?

Kat banished the thought. She wouldn't go so low.
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Robin stopped dead in her tracks, her simple frown turning to a scowl. Something hit her foot again, what was it? Eyes moving down, she saw... nothing. Nothing but the navy blue tips of her flats. Alright... not good. Even if was a boring sort of not good where the restaurant had a rat problem, still not good. She felt a slight pang of guilt as a smile formed on her lips, knowing she shouldn't find it exciting. Picking up a foot, she slipped her shoe off, repeating the process with the other and leaving them dangling in her hand as she resumed her stroll barefoot. Her steps were slower now, her hope being to catch whatever was hitting her feet. Without her shoes, maybe she could get a better idea of what it was, like if it was metal or an animal. There was one disadvantage to this. The wood flooring was cold. Very cold. 

Every few seconds, her eyes would check her toes, seeing if anything might be lurking. Now aware of all the stares she was getting, including some from the staff, she chose to ignore them. If she ever cared about being stared at, she'd never get anything accomplished. Almost yelping, she suddenly stopped, eyes immediately darting to her feet. But... That was a rat. It was totally a rat. So why did it feel like metal? Keeping her eyes trained on the creature as it scurried under an empty table, she took her time crouching to her knees, approaching it as slowly as she could. It had stopped to eat a piece of food on the ground, so she could take this chance to nab it. Hand shooting out, she grabbed its tail and yanked it up, earning a snap from it as she stood up. "Oi!" She yelped, holding it out and away from her as it struggled. Several people at tables around her dropped their forks and covered their mouths, some spitting out food into their napkins. Robin smiled mischievously, using her free hand to carefully pinch the rodent's mouth shut. She could feel fur, definitely, but its claws and skeleton were too cold to be bone. That, and it had no eyes. Just... holes. "Transrat..." She murmured, beginning to take it back to their table. The last time she had seen one of these was on that ship with the Dalek, and they were used to clean up waste and unwanted pests. But not in this time period or planet. So... what was it doing here?

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Kat didn't know what it was, but with the way Robin had reacted, and the fact that probability hung around it, the rat must have been important. It wasn't until the creature was closer that she realized it didn't have eyes. Interesting.. "What is it?" Three words, exceedingly simple ones, but the right words. Kat had hoped she would get to do that today. There was such a sense of satisfaction when she used the right words, like a part of a complex machine clicking into place. She had become obsessed with that feeling once it had become part of her. It was one of the things that separated her from all these other boring humans.
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Robin walked over to Kat's side of the table, not bothering to sit down while something this exciting was going on. "It's a transrat. Something that some cultures use to clear out unwanted invasions. Like pest control using pests. It's meant to get rid of whatever isn't supposed to be there, although this one was just eating the food off the floor, so either something is wrong with the food or they've been programmed to keep the place clean. Anyway, that means something alien is happening. Could involve the food. I suggest we don't point it out to anyone until ours comes and we have a chance to investigate it, yeah?" She grinned, feeling proud of her knowledge for once. There wasn't a lot that she'd seen, but this just happened to be one. Those were always fun moments, knowing more than you should. Except on certain topics, in which case, that's just wrong. She held the rat closer to her face, pinching the mouth tighter so it wouldn't bite her as she examined it. "There are no eyes, just motion sensors. And the hearing is a sensor too. Actually it could be monitoring us, which would be bad because I just said I know about them and usually the bad guys don't like that. Hopefully that's not gonna happen...." She moved her hand from the tail to the body quickly as not to lose her grip, then twisted the head of the rodent until she heard a snap. "It's metal, but it's still small. It has to be thin for everything to fit in there, but it's still stronger than bone would be." She felt her smirk grow, her pride in her knowledge definitely showing. Pushing the rat into her pocket, she moved over and took her seat, grinning at Kat as she folded her hands on the table. "Maybe this won't be boring after all."

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:56 pm

Kat didn't really understand what Robin was excited about. Alien happened all the time, and it usually meant bad. She tried to avoid danger unless there was something to gain. "How can you be sure it's not just something that found it's way here on accident? That happens a lot more often than actual aliens coming here." If there were aliens, and they were the sort that usually seemed to come here, they would probably need to be taken care of. Kat inspected the rat in Robin's hands, trying to decide which possibility should be pursued. Everything in the room had begun glowing much brighter when the at was found. Honesty, all the gold around Robin was starting to make her eyes hurt.
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:15 pm

"Well if you want to think that way...." Robin shrugged, her smile faltering a bit. The waitress came up, along with another waiter, each holding a tray full of food and a stand under their arm. They both balanced their trays on one hand has the other unfolded the stand with the assistance of their foot. The waitress smiled politely, "You had fish and chips, yeah?" Robin nodded, feeling slightly bad for the pair of them. The waitress took one of the orders and put it in front of her, then began to pile plate after plate of food in front of Siren. The waiter finished with the last order of fish and chips and the sprites, then folded up the stands as the waitress took both of the trays. "Have a nice meal," They said in unison, causing the rest of Robin's smile to slip as they carried their respective items back to the kitchen. "They're a bit odd, yeah?" She shrugged, grabbing the salt shaker and sprinkling some on her chips. "Eat up, the sooner we're done here, the sooner we can start investigating." She giggled, taking a chip and popping it into her mouth. There was certainly a lot of food for Kat to finish, but if she really was that hungry, it wouldn't take too long for her to eat it all. Or most of it, at least. Remembering what she was saying about the food a moment ago, she shoved another chip in her mouth, concentrating on the taste. It was a bit sour, but nothing too notable. Then again, she hadn't been here in forever, so it could be completely normal.

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Kat refrained from eating. This rat was designed to clean up, if it thought the food was dirty, she could stand to go longer without eating. "Yah... Odd.."
Everything here is a bit odd.
Either that, or we are going a little mad.
Don't be ridiculous, I'm sure out mental state is a perfectly healthy one.

Her gaze drifted over all the people present before turning to inspect the food. She muttered something unintelligible, but easily made out to rhyme.
Something is odd here. Maybe not in this particular building, but here, in this area.

(It was longer, but I navigated off the page with a stray click and lost the original post.)
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:37 pm

((aww *hug* that sucks xP))

Robin crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow at Kat. "What, not gonna eat any of it? Seriously? All that food so you can stare at it?" She picked up her fork and worked a chunk off the fish, eating it quickly. She sighed, beginning to eat quicker so they could get on with whatever it was that they were doing there. Well... essentially eating, but since Kat wasn't planning on that... Leaning back in her seat, she popped another chip into her mouth as she watched another couple finish their meal. As they stood up to leave, she noticed they didn't. They just stood there. To her surprise, the waiter from earlier spotted them too, and actually led them into the kitchen. What, were they cutting up people and... oh, God, gross. That thought was enough for her to lose her appetite, and caused her to push her plate away from her. "On second thought... I think we have something to see..." Standing up, she gestured for the woman to follow her as she began her stride to the kitchen where the other two were taken, not bothering to see if she was coming. Honestly, it wouldn't matter, but it'd be helpful to have another person there.

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Kat stands but doesn't follow, instead going outside with three simple words. "What is it?" She starts to make her way around the back of the restaurant. These places always have a back door, usually leading into a kitchen or close to it. She expected it to be locked, it didn't matter if it was though. Some clever rhymes would convince it to open up. Kat wished she wore less noticeable clothing. A white hoodie wasn't exactly subtle. Upon reaching the back door, she bent down and whispered to it, not bothering to check if it really was locked, and pushed it open. In all honesty, the idea of being eaten wasn't that scary anymore. She lived with The Master.
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Robin pushed the doors open to the kitchen, her wrists immediately seized by the staff members. "Oi! What's going on?!" She yelped, eyes widening as she looked around. Half of the kitchen was totally normal, the part you could see through any open windows or such. The other half? It was a science lab! There were all sorts of colored liquids around, all sorts of concoctions. The two men holding her wrists began to drag her into that part of the kitchen, leaving her confused. "Hey, I'm talking to you! Tell me what's going on!" She grunted in annoyance as she was slung to the floor, getting no response. "Oi, are you deaf or something?!" "You will wait for testing. Resistance is futile. Wait for the master to return." The one on the right spoke in a deep monotone voice. What was that, mind control? Most likely... Hold on, was that what they were gonna do to her? Oh God... But no, they said testing, so most likely something else. There were tons of potions and such in this lab, of course they needed to test out the new ones. But for what? Why? And who was doing this? She mulled over these questions as she stared at them intently, not bothering to move. Mostly in fear of the multiple syringes on the counters. Part of her mind tried to tune them out...

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Kat could hear Robin as soon as the door opened, but that wasn't important quite yet. First was-
Oh, oh! Look at all the alien science stuff!
We should burn it.
Hey, later, priorities.

She inspected the various items, drawing some idea of what was done here, and moved into the building in a sort of sneaky crouch-walk. Her lips moved in a whisper. "We must move unseen, to commit these selfless deeds, let it be." Kat winced. That sentence was like forcing a circle into a square shaped slot. It wouldn't do much, but it would give her a little time to hurry along if someone saw her and realized she shouldn't be here. The rhymes just weren't coming together well today. Not like yesterday...
Heh... Oh, the things we did yesterday.
She shook those thoughts aside. No time for that. Kat continued taking are full steps towards where we had last heard Robin's voice.
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Robin scowled, getting up off the ground they threw her on. She might have bruised her elbow, but she wasn't going to make a fool of herself trying to check. Rubbing the sore part of her arm, she sighed, crossing her legs and staring as emotionlessly as she could up at the waiters. More like drones. 

"Can I ask a question?
"Yes." 
"Will I get an answer?
"No."

She scowled, letting her calm mask slip. It really didn't matter, it didn't seem like they cared. "Fine, be like that..." She stood up slowly, waiting to see if they would react, but they didn't. Good, she had a bit of freedom of movement. That'd keep her a tiny bit more sane. "How long until they come?" No answer. She rolled her eyes, remembering what she had just asked but completely ignored anyway. Her ears perked at the sound of foot steps coming from her right. "Hello? Who is it?" No answer. Another stupid question, anyway. Most likely the master they were talking about. The more she listened, she heard a bit of metal clunking, too. Metal clunking and foot steps. Not good...

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Kat caught site of the restaurant personnel first, Robin soon after. She moves back against a wall and watched closely. Her first reaction would have been to attack, or some similar action, but some restraint was called for.
Don't worry about Robin.
She's just a person, if she gets hurt, it... Isn't too bad.
Focus, think. How to solve this?
What else might be here?

She watched possibility. What decisions will have the best outcome here?
Who knows?
Why did it always have to be so vague? Kat touched a finger to her forehead in irritation.
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:01 pm

Robin's eyes widened in terror as the beast entered the room. "Oh.. my... God..." She backed into the corner of the room, trying to press herself into the wall. The creature that stood before her, accompanied by a waitress, was simple put, a monster. It was human... but it wasn't. It was like a man, and it had flesh and a body and a face. But... It's mouth. A stretched, metal, Cheshire smile full of razor teeth was stuck on its face, its metal jaw jutting out from the skin. Its hands - no, paws - were made of metal, long fearsome claws coming from each 'finger'. She desperately hoped it didn't have apposable thumbs, as well. One could clearly see where bone became wire, and it was sickening. Its back legs were reformed like an animal's as it stood on all fours, wires tangled about each limb. Wires stuck out in a mess from its head, acting as a mane. This was truly the most frightening thing she'd ever seen. It acted as if it was a predator, and it probably was. It spoke in a low growl, and you could easily see what it used to form speech through its teeth as they spread. "Welcome, human. Prepare for... testing." The smile on its face did not help Robin's racing heart as she eyed it cautiously, her gulp clearly audible.

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Kat shivered at the sight of the monstrosity.
We could blow the lights...
Our position could be revealed, and it might be able tower in the dark.
How is it's smell?
Who knows?
Shut up

She closed her eyes, hoping Robin would take advantage of the moment she was about to give her. Kat thought hard about her words, knowing they had to fit. "The wiring that powers these lights has been worn away, day by day, let it begin to fade so that we may make our getaway." She went on for several more lines and the lights began to flicker and die as Kat stopped speaking. The words that had kept her fairly unnoticed would work no longer, she knew, but their attention shouldn't be this way right now... Not unless that thing had absolutely brilliant hearing.
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Robin yelped as the lights turned off, leaving her in total darkness. Oh God, who's bright idea was that?! That thing had motion sensor eyes like the transrat! It could still see! Taking slow breathes, she tried to stay as still and quiet as possible, assuming it had artificial hearing as well. Oh God... Her eyes snapped shut as she heard it moving, its metal paws clinking on the hard floor. If it saw her while she couldn't see it... She was dead. And where was Kat? Oh... If she did this... She was definitely gonna get an earful later. If there was a later, for her. In the darkness, she didn't see the two drones coming towards her and pinning her arms against the wall. As soon as they did, she knew she was dead because of the movement and sound she just made by her yelp. The soft clinks got quicker and louder as they approached her. "Stay still." It instructed, a paw reaching up and scratching a small line into what it could see as her arm. She winced, deciding to keep her eyes shut for the time being. Something metal was pressed against the cut, and she didn't know what was going on until she heard it. "Your DNA sample... has been collected." Oh God what was it gonna do?!

Student

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Kat could still see very well, thanks to the golden glow of time illuminating things for her.
Our plan sucked.
No response to that, it had. This thing obviously didn't care about light or dark, so there goes the next plan... Think, think, think...
We've for nothing.
Well, then we'll wait.
Agreed

So she did wait. Kat sat and watched as they did... something to Robin.
Should we turn the lights back on?
Can we turn the lights back on?

The answer was, sadly, no. She had made the wiring itself break. Kat mentally kicked herself, and watched.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just Another Boring Day   

Back to top Go down

Just Another Boring Day
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next