Coffee Shop Conversations

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scarlegs
Student
Student
Scarlegs

Coffee Shop Conversations Empty
PostSubject: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 12:54 am

((Thread closed to David Chase and I))

Leatha fluffed up her heavy winter jacket as she hurried along the road to her favorite coffee shop. The chilly late Autumn air was causing her breath to billow out in front of her in puffs of mist. This action caused children to tug on their mothers sleeve and as if she was a dragon. Leatha shook her head as the mothers carted their children away in embarrassment, averting their eyes from the strange creature that stood patiently before them.

Although the general public was becoming more accepting of aliens, a select few were still out to get them. Many non humans were taunted, refused service, insurance and jobs, because of something they couldn't control. Leatha sighed, she was lucky she lived in the more accepting side of her neighbor-hood.

Leatha sighed as she burst through the coffee shops doors, savoring the warmth radiating from the heater propped just in front of the door. Today was her day off from her job as a receptionist, though the job could support her Leatha really wanted to become a nurse. Leatha had trained as a Silurian nurse, but by the apes standards she didn't qualify. Maybe it was because she was alien, maybe it was the fact that she was originally from Greece, either way she had to retrain to become a qualified nurse, something she couldn't afford.

Leatha moved sluggishly over to the back booth of the coffee shop, it's oak dividers providing a welcome shield from the other commuters. Leatha could feel herself slowly warming up, she could finally think clearly, move a little faster. Leatha's attention was grabbed by the young and bouncy waitress, "The usual" she said coyly as the woman wrote down the beverage. Tea, no milk, no sugar. Leatha had a small amount of a red beverage left in her flask, she would use that to flavor the tea.

Although it was Leatha's day of she was stressed, she went to the post office, bills. She had gone to the butcher, no fresh meat. Leatha dug the heel of her hands into her eyes that were squeezed tightly shut. By the time the bouncy waitress had delivered her tea and collected payment Leatha was feeling far more alert than when she had first come in.

Leatha put her head-phones over her ears and slowly became absorbed in the small book she was reading. Unconsciously Leatha bit her bottom lip, a small tick she had when she was concentrating on something to excess. Occasionally she would mouth the words to her music, although unconventional for Silurians she liked the pounding beat of the apes music. Rather than irritating her sensitive ears the music calmed Leatha thoroughly.
Back to top Go down
Scarlegs
Student
Student
Scarlegs

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 7:51 pm

((I'm thinking of opening this to the next poster as David Chase hasn't replied to it...))
Back to top Go down
Esther Adele
Beginner
Beginner
Esther Adele

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 12:46 am

Esther slurped on her mocha, intensely reading a book with the title Impossible Things printed on the cover. She was so sucked into the book that she completely missed her straw when she tried to take another sip, her two front teeth smacking against the glass. "Ow!" Es cried, covering her mouth as a reflex - as well as embarrassment - and wincing. Blood dribbled down her lips and chin. She must've cut her lip.

Idiot, you are an idiot, she insulted herself, sighing and holding a napkin to her wound. A few started staring and she glanced away, at her book. See? Now you've got people staring. Esther reluctantly closed her book, taking the napkin and flipping it to its clean side, before glancing up. A green-skinned body got much of her attention. She'd always thought Silurians were so beautiful, especially the lighter coloured ones. Wish I was that beautiful, she thought to herself, frowning slightly.
Back to top Go down
Scarlegs
Student
Student
Scarlegs

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 1:11 am

Leatha licked her lips as she turned the page, the book was all she could think of. The climax to the story was just over the page, the great reveal. Leatha's heart was pumping when suddenly a clank and a curse dragged her out of her thoughts. Leatha lifted her emerald head towards the noise. A young woman sitting in a booth, her drink still in her her hand, the other over her mouth. Leatha's eyes studied what she could see of the girl. A mop of dark hair was draped around her shoulders. Leatha's eyes darted back to her book as the girl turned her head. The last thing Leatha wanted was to seem rude.

Leatha chewed her lip as she halfheartedly read the great reveal, Of course he was his father she grumbled inwardly, nestling a book mark into the spine of her book and snapping it closed before she put it back in her bag with her other trinkets. Leatha sipped her tea, eyes trained on the girl. She wasn't sure if she should go over and check on her, from where she was she couldn't see if the offending glass had left any injuries on the apes paper thin skin. Leatha decided the only way to see if the ape needed any help was to ask her herself.

Leatha got up slowly from the table, putting on her large fluffy coat and shouldering on her bag. Making her way slowly over to the girls booth Leatha was having apprehensive thoughts. What if this ape didn't except 'Aliens' and got violent. Leatha could quite easily knock it out, the problem was that Leatha would be seen as the provoking party. Leatha stopped when she got to the woman's table and cleared her throat. "Do you need any help?" she asked, her eyebrows drawing together when she saw the bloodied napkin and the girls split lip.
Back to top Go down
Esther Adele
Beginner
Beginner
Esther Adele

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 1:29 am

Esther dabbed the bloody lip a few times. It was getting a bit swollen, she could feel and it would more than likely cause a bruise to form along her upper lip. She again scolded herself for being so stupid, frowning at the stinging pain of her lip and her front teeth.
The Silurian, that she had been watching moments ago, suddenly stood above her, clearing her throat and offering her assistance. Esther stared up in surprise and awe at the female Silurian, as if the green scaled woman was some kind of queen talking to her about her pets. "I - uh - I think I'm okay, just a split lip," she explained, feeling a rush of embarrassment. Least she could do after declining her offer would be to thank her, so, that is what she did. "Thank you, uh...?" she let the reptilian fill in the space.
Back to top Go down
Scarlegs
Student
Student
Scarlegs

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 3:03 am

"It could get infected" Leatha said matter of factly as she bent down to further examine the girls lip with her hazel eyes. "Ice will help the swelling." Leatha stated, looking around for the waitress, whom she found waiting at a near by table. "Could we get some ice and serviettes?" she called out to the smiling woman. The lady finished taking orders and hurried off to the kitchen. "Leatha" she finished for the girl. "My name is Leatha". Leatha healed out a gloved hand for the girl to shake. Pulling the jackets heavy hood up over her ridged head Leatha sat down opposite to the girl and leaned across the table slightly. "Need any thing else?" she asked the girl, steepleing her fingers.

The plump fiery haired waitress brought out the ice in a glass cup and a small pile of serviettes. "Thank-you" Leatha smiled as she began to wrap a few cubes of ice in the paper serviettes. Leatha handed the ape the package and leaned back in her chair, her long legs almost getting tangled in the girls. "And you are?" she asked the girl, remembering that she hadn't quite caught the apes name. Leatha's eyes searched the girls face, her eyes glinting wish concern. She didn't think that a split lip could become threatening, she just wanted to be certain that it didn't get infected, what with all the new alien viruses circulating. Sure most of them had a cure and/or a preventative shot, but Leatha wasn't sure if this ape would be up to date with the new injections and tablets. The sooner they find a cure all the better. Leatha thought glumly. The hospitals had been filling up faster than they could empty them because the stupid apes weren't smart enough to keep themselves safe.
Back to top Go down
Esther Adele
Beginner
Beginner
Esther Adele

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Esther watched as the Silurian inspected her cut, saying it'd get infected without some cleaning. She started feeling a bit nervous. It wasn't like she was afraid of the girl, she just didn't like being touched and looked at by someone else other than her or her mum, who was the only one that took care of her skinned knees or bloody scars, other than Grandma, but she was dead.

Es frowned slightly as it started to sting a bit more when the new napkin she grabbed was dabbed onto her lip. Leatha? What pretty name, she thought, smiling as she shook her hand. To her question, she shook her head. "No, I'm fine. I feel like I'm getting too much help already," Esther told Leatha, her lips still curled in a small smile.

A woman - the waitress from before - brought table napkins and a glass of ice, receiving a "thank you" from the both of them. Leatha began to fold the ice into the napkins, where she asked what Esther's name was. "Oh! Forgive me for my manners! My name is Esther, Esther Adele." She scolded herself for not bringing it up in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Scarlegs
Student
Student
Scarlegs

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 9:16 pm

"Esther? Lovely name. I've never met any one called Esther! Then again, I haven't met many people called a lot of things" Leatha smiled as she leaned forward on the table, proping her chin atop her gloved hands. Leatha relaxed a bit about the girls cut before asking "Up to date on your shots?".
Leatha's fingers tapped lightly on her emerald chin. Leatha shifted uncomfortably, the cold was seeping back into her despite the warmth of the shop, freezing her bones and tiring her out. "Ever been here before?" she said before yawning slightly, blinking her heavy eyelids slightly as she tried to seem alert to the girl. "One second" She said as she began to get up.

Leatha walked groggily over to the counter. "Could you bring me a tea,?" she asked the man behind the counter. He nodded briskly as he hovered his pen, ready to write down the specifications. "Medium, one equal and a dollop of cream." she said as she pulled out her money and left some on the counter for the man to sort. Leatha shuffled back to the table and smiled weakly "One of the perks of being a Silurian, eh?" she said sarcastically as she began to rub her arms in an attempt to stay warm.
Back to top Go down
Esther Adele
Beginner
Beginner
Esther Adele

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 12:43 am

"Thank you," Esther said, smiling at the compliment. "Really, not anyone else named Esther?" she asked as Leatha placed her chin onto her hands. Oh, well, this is so... weird, she thought, feeling uncomfortable Is this how it feels at the hospital? I don't really like it when people touch my face, she thought, before the female Silurian let her chin drop.

"Well, yeah, I've gotten my shots a few months ago," Es told her, dabbing her chin. The blood had started to clot, so it wouldn't be much longer before the bleeding stopped. I wonder what it looks like... Esther wondered. Must look pretty bad if someone was worried about it...

She was lightly taken out of her thoughts when Leatha yawned, growing sleepy all the sudden and she was about to say something when the reptilian asked for a moment, got up and walked to the counter. Esther watched her with a frown, taking a sip from her less than one quarter empty, twenty ounce, white chocolate mocha. When Leatha came back to sit, Esther smiled back at her, taking another sip of her drink. "What?" she asked when she spoke about some sort of 'perks' of a Silurian. She partially thought it was because that she was a reptilian and her blood was cold and whenever it was cold out, her blood would slow and she got tired, blah blah, all that science stuff, but she didn't suggest it in case she was wrong.
Back to top Go down
Scarlegs
Student
Student
Scarlegs

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 8:49 pm

"Sarcasm" Leatha replied, "I was being sarcastic." Leatha said as her drink was placed down in front of her nose, the heat radiating off it was already beginning to warm Leatha's numb hands. "Thank-you" she said to the waiter. He nodded and walked briskly back to his post. Leatha took a sip of the warm liquid, letting it warm her back up from the inside out. Leatha could feel the warmth spreading down her limbs and through her veins . "There really are no perks about being a Silurian in this blasted English winter" she sighed, replacing the cup on the table. "I don't understand how you apes can stand it". Leatha pulled her hood down fully to reveal her scaled ridges. She was comfortably warm and reasonably content. Leatha thought for a second, she was never any good at keeping a conversation flowing well.

"What are you doing out in the middle of the day in winter?" she asked. Most apes would be at home in front of a fire or sitting in the direct path of the heater. The cafe was less than half full. Leatha longed to be back in her small apartment under a mound of blankets, watching day time T.V while keeping up on all her paper work. Leatha had only come out to run a few errands, getting slightly side tracked a long the way. "I've never seen you here before." She added. She had seen most people in this coffee shop given how much of her spare time was spent there drinking excess amounts of tea and hot chocolate.
Back to top Go down
Esther Adele
Beginner
Beginner
Esther Adele

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 pm

"I know," she replied, understanding that it was a sarcastic joke. The male waiter set a cup of steaming tea in front of Leatha. She frowned slightly when Leatha referred to her as an 'ape', but she said nothing to correct her. "Maybe we're tougher than you," she joked, smirking a bit.

When she was asked what she was doing here, she shrugged. "I usually come by a coffee shop or library when my shift - for my job as a gym instructor - is over, so when I leave to get 'ome, I take a detour to a cafe or something," Esther explained, taking another sip from her drink. "Well, I've been here before, but it's not where I usually go. I'm usually at the library a few blocks down that way," she explained, pointing over to the right.
Back to top Go down
Scarlegs
Student
Student
Scarlegs

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 10:54 pm

"No. You apes are not tougher, merely warmer. A different genetic make up." Leatha smirked. "Silurians are far superior" she said in a half joking manner. Leatha blinked. She was trying to figure out how apes would actually live in such horrible conditions. "Maybe it's the hair" she muttered as she huffed and fluffed up her jacket. "How do you manage to take care of that?" she asked, gesturing to the girls hair. Some how humans could take care of the hair on top of their head with out it getting matted or too greasy..Well most of them anyway. Leatha looked at the girls dark straight hair. She was still amazed that it could come in so many different colours. The could even dye it for the sake of 'fashion'. Leatha's race could do something similar with the main ridges of their crest, though not in as many colours. Leatha still wondered why the apes didn't just shave off the unnecessary baggage.

Leatha stirred her tea with a small spoon that had been placed on the small plat that the tea was delivered on. She wasn't sure where to go from here as she had trouble relating to apes and their silly rituals. For the better part of the last two weeks she had been wish a 'Merry Christmas' a strange tradition where the apes put trees in their house and gave gifts to each other all because some child had been born at the end of that year a few thousand years ago.  She had a brain wave. "Uh, What does Merry Christmas mean..?" she asked, unsure of the reaction she would get from the ape. What if she  got angry. What she didn't know what Christmas was herself? Leatha seriously doubted the last point.
Back to top Go down
Esther Adele
Beginner
Beginner
Esther Adele

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 am

Esther smirked as Leatha joked back, saying Silurians were far more superior, before putting out her bottom lip in a small humorous pout. What if she actually believes that to be true; Silurians are better than humans? she thought. Well, they've been here longer, far longer than humans, so I wouldn't be too surprised if she's completely right. She took a sip of her half-empty glass of coffee, wiping her mouth with a napkin.

Tapping her mostly clotted wound, she found it to have stopped bleeding. I wonder if it's going to scar? she asked herself, looking to Leatha when she asked about her hair. "My hair?" she questioned, though she knew what Leatha was asking about. "Well, I wash it with liquid soaps - called shampoo and conditioner - and brush it with a comb," she explained, recollecting the steps she made with her hair this morning.

"Well," she began, answering her Christmas question, "it's like saying 'have a happy birthday'. They say that to you to bless you with a good day," Esther told her, leaning backwards into the seat. "Do you have any kinds of celebrations or holidays like Christmas? Do you have a religion?" she asked, running a hand through her hair.

Back to top Go down
Scarlegs
Student
Student
Scarlegs

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 2:59 am

Leatha noticed that the girl was looking over her cut with an outstretched finger. Tapping it lightly against the sensitive area. Leatha listened with interest as the girl explained her routine.
"Sounds tedious" Leatha remarked, her eye brows raising as she imagined how time consuming the ritual would be ,"All I have to do is scrub every night in the shower to keep it clean" she explained, directing her eyes in the direction of her crest. "And you do that every day?" she asked before moving her attention to the other subject at hand.

Leatha thought over the girls explanation for a few moments. "We only have one hatch day, not an ongoing string of them to celebrate every year." Leatha pondered over what her species would consider a religion. "Only a respect of nature, specifically land formations and rocks" Leatha frowned in concentration. "When one is born, they are assigned a rock to watch over them. They will have this rock, along with their spouses, at the front of what you will call a house." Leatha thought for a few more seconds, "One can choose to bring that rock with them if they are a nomad, soldier or otherwise absent from their home for longer than the average citizen. Like me" Leatha held up her wrist and rolled down her large jumpers sleeve, a thin piece of leather was tied securely around her emerald wrist. Hanging on the perimeter of the leather were small rough chips of a dark pink-purple rock. " It's amethyst. I don't consider the ape world or structures my home, and so I wear this" Leatha said coyly as she softly caressed one of the jewels between her fingers.
Back to top Go down
Esther Adele
Beginner
Beginner
Esther Adele

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 4:08 am

Esther smiled. Well, I supposed that was all she had to do, she shrugged, seeing as Leatha had no hair. "I have to brush it every day, but it could dry out if I used shampoo and conditioner everyday. It's more of a every three to five day thing."

Esther listened closely to her traditions back in her home. "Hatch day..." she repeated under her breath, figuring it was some kind of birthday. "Nature? Cool." Es continued to listen, interested in what her religions were. A rock? That's actually quite cool. I'll force my children to keep something like that when I have them, she thought, smirking at herself. "It's a beautiful stone. How do you get the specific rock, does it have anything to do with personality or colour or something?" she asked, twirling the straw she had around her glass.
Back to top Go down
Scarlegs
Student
Student
Scarlegs

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 9:08 pm

Leatha shook her head. "It depends on how the planets are aligned" she said, her mouth curling up into a slight smile, "You don't think we only studied geology, did you?" she asked before tapping her fingers against the table. "Do you have a religion?" she asked, sipping the last of her cold tea. She was unsure whether this was a rude question to ask the apes, as those of different religions seemed to hate each other, judging by the news at least. Leatha couldn't understand why the apes still had religion if it caused such a fuss. Leatha growled slightly at the apes stupidity before turning her gaze to the girl in front of her. This ape might be one of the better ones, religious or not. She didn't scream when she saw Leatha, or tell her to get lost.

"Well," She said suddenly, standing up from her seat quickly. "I guess you have somethings to do today and don't want to be stuck with an old lizard out of kindness for then next few hours, eh?" she asked as she began to scoop all of her mess together in her arms, intending on taking it back to the counter for the waiters to clean up. Leatha shoulder on her bag and began walking over to the counter.

((It seems as if I want this rp to end, I just think if we get them out of the coffee shop we might be able to blow something up))
Back to top Go down
Esther Adele
Beginner
Beginner
Esther Adele

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 1:14 am

Esther's mouth formed an o. Can she really read me like that? Is she a mind reader? "Oh, no!" she laughed, feeling embarrassed. "I know your brilliance isn't limited to Geography, I was just curious."

Esther thought for a moment when Leatha returned the religion question. Should I tell her? Well, it shouldn't matter what religion I have, judgement of religion is silly. If she doesn't like it, then I don't need to care. "I'm a Christian - Yes, I believe in a creator and it may seem like a simpleminded one, but I can't believe that the beginning of the world, this whole universe, came from a bunch of rocks smashing into each other," she explained. Seriously, where did the rocks come from anyway. If they had a beginning, then what forged them? she thought, not speaking her words because the conversation wasn't about the beginning of the world.

"Oh, wait, Leatha!" she called, standing. "Thank you, for the unbelievable kindness you have given me," she said, smiling at her. "And no, if you had the time, I'd actually quite like to spend more time with you." I hope this isn't embarrassing or awkward toward her. Maybe I insulted her or something?
Back to top Go down
Scarlegs
Student
Student
Scarlegs

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Leatha wasn't sure if the ape was being sarcastic or not about her comment so Leatha decided to leave it be. "One of the big three?" Leatha laughed, referring to the girls religion, "Yes, that one is quite interesting" she smiled, "Though I don't think it's for me".
Leatha turned around at the sound of the girls voice, "Meet somewhere?" she asked. "How about we meet..." Leatha thought for what the best time for  her would be. "At the park at around 10:30am on Saturday?" she asked as she jerked her thumb in the direction of a small green area across the road. She was wondering if the ape would be awake by then. These apes always seemed tired, no matter what time of day it was.
((Sorry about this almost nonexistent post, shall we do a time skip?))
Back to top Go down
Esther Adele
Beginner
Beginner
Esther Adele

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 3:43 pm

(If you wish, I don't care.) Esther smiled as Leatha set up a time. "I'm off on Saturday, so that sounds nice," she told her, throwing her empty cup in the bin. Park, right by the coffee shop. at 10:30am, on Saturday, she repeated to herself, trying to remember. "Thanks for the help with my lip," she said, again tapping the hard scabbed surface of her upper lip. She could feel a crease in her skin when she let her finger wiped across it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coffee Shop Conversations   Coffee Shop Conversations I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coffee Shop Conversations
Page 1 of 1