The Industrial Circus

Go down 
AuthorMessage
5th Doctor
Student
Student
5th Doctor

The Industrial Circus Empty
PostSubject: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 10:35 pm

***CLOSED TO SARAH JANE AND I***

Somewhere in the deep crevices of space and time, trapped in the middle of Andromeda and Cassiopea, between spiraling galaxies and swirling novas, was a floating blue police box that wasn't exactly a police box....

Inside the police box was a rather unusual sight: A large greyish-white room filled with even larger walls studded with dimly glowing roundels and a large, hexagonal console marking the center of the room. The room itself housed a lounge chair and a hat rack that hung several jackets of various weights (after all, who knows what a planet's temperature will be like when they land?), scarves of all lengths, parasols and umbrellas, and whatever was beneath everything else.

The console in the middle of the room seemed to be active with beeps and trills on each panel, flashing lights, and a vector screen that flashed equations and locations at an even pace. In the center of the console was a brightly lit crimson time rotor, bobbing up and down at regular intervals.

Hovering over the console was a tall, slender man with wild hair and a bohemian attitude. He was wearing a victorian high-collar shirt and an obnoxious plaid vest. His cravat had somehow untied itself and hung loosely around his neck. He was staring intensely at the vector screen, mumbling intently at the words flashing across the screen.

Sitting on the console was a small paper bag lined with wax and filled with a personal favorite of this strange man: jelly babies. The man reached into the bag and took one out. "Hmm...orange. My favorite.."

He took a large bit out of the candy and continued looking at the screen. He twisted a knob on the console and the screen switched over to a recording to a London Philharmonic's 1883 performance. "Sarah! Where would you like to go? What would you like to do? Anywhere in time and space, anything your wildest imagination can think of!"
Back to top Go down
http://chestertonorchatterton.tumblr.com
SarahJane
Student
Student
SarahJane

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 2:19 am

Sometimes it was all about a good coat.  She'd found just the one well back in the depths of the TARDIS wardrobe.  Black linen with a cut that would not be out of place on a pirate.  If a pirate could ever fit into the narrow shoulders of the thing.  The back of it hinted at tails, or perhaps the broadest of ribbons. It added structure to the layers of white cotton she wore underneath.  She'd chosen this time in particular because whalebone corsets had finally gone out of style.   In the industrial revolution women were working as hard as men.  She would not look out of place in a textile's mill, the ruff of her skirts boldly up to mid calf, belling up to a narrow waist she wouldn't bother to contain with a girdle.  It wasn't as if anyone would be checking her underwear or the fine construction of her black leather boots with their curved witch-heels.  She would not have put up with the high neck of the top if it hadn't had eyelet cut panels from the arms up.  It mirrored rather nicely the eyelet petticoat edge that showed in excellent relief against the black boots.

He called to her from the control room.  He'd remembered it was her turn, and it pleased her.  They'd agreed on do-overs a ways back, and her last choice had not worked out.  Well, it had been lovely, but it hadn't been anything like she'd planed.  They'd spent such a long time so far from her home, she was eager to feel the light of her own personal Sun for a while under Earth's blue sky and clouds.  She hung out the wardrobe door like a kid on a garden gate, grinning at her friend.

She chose to be almost comically loud to be heard over the orchestral music.

"I want to go to the Colonies. September twenty third, nineteen thirteen. Cabin Creek. Eskdale in Colorado." She let go of the door way to make her way beside the brass railings that made fine grab bars around the controls, it's column moving up and down as steady as a heartbeat  "Mary Harris Jones is giving a speech.  It's going to start a revolution. I've just been dying to hear it, Doctor.  And then we could go see the Grand Canyon!" She looked quite wide eyed and hopeful.  She knew she was asking for a two-for-one, but she also knew he usually indulged her.  Well, unless there was some musty old scientist he wanted to visit, or the Brigadier called.

"Imagine it, Doctor, hearing Mother Jones speak!"

The Industrial Circus SJINdustrial_zpsfb274a8d

Last edited by SarahJane on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
5th Doctor
Student
Student
5th Doctor

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 1:36 pm

"Ah! The Industrial Revolution. You know, I don't think i've ever visited that period of time. At least on Earth, you know." He turned around to face Sarah. He looked at her new outfit and gave her a small smirk.

"You know, Victoria wore that well. But I think you pull it off even better. Now, Colorado you say? It's been a long time since I've visited the colonies...I really must keep up appearances you know." He looked over to Sarah and gave her a small wink. He returned to his console, typed in some massive coordinates, and flicked a lever. The TARDIS let out it's familiar wheezing and groaning, and finally a dull metallic thud.

The Doctor went over to the coat rack and picked up a tweedy grey jacket with grey corduroy embellishments and a scarf of decent length He wrapped it around his neck once, letting the ends droop to the floor. He searched his pockets to make sure he had what he needed: a yellow wooden yo-yo, several bits and cogs, his sonic screwdriver, a bag of jelly babies, and several pieces of string and lint. He searched around the hat rack for something else....he lifted every coat and scarf, moved the parasols, but he didn't seem to find what he was looking for. He turned to the console. "Ahh! There you are. I swear if I didn't put you there i'd lose you forever." He went over to the console and picked up his crushed velvet green fedora and plopped it on top of his head. He seemed fully satisfied. He flipped up a lever with a giant red knob on top, opening the massively thick doors with a oscillating trill.

"Ready Sarah Jane?"
Back to top Go down
SarahJane
Student
Student
SarahJane

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 8:57 pm

When the Doctor finally looked up for his friend, he'd find the door open and the girl gone.  She was standing in the sun, busy being stunned by her first view of the Colorado Rockies.  The Doctor must have gotten it right this time because these just had to be part of that iconic mountain range.  Light glinted off snow on those impossible peeks.  She'd never seen such a thing.  Here she stood with her longed-for sun a gentle heat on her, yet she could look up and see the snow.  Gooseflesh ran across her shoulders though she wasn't cold at all.

Conifers dotted the landscape, everything from tall and perfect Christmas trees to rambling shrubs on the ground, which had a pale and sandy soil.  Grand Oak trees looked back at her as proudly as she did them.  Then there was the sound of a wagon, the jingle of a bit, somewhere behind her.  She turned around to see the outskirts of a town through the edge of the wood.  Brick. Cobble.  Spindles of dark chimney smoke rose above it's outer walls.  She could see a town clock as well.   For 1913 (if that is when this was) she was rather impressed.  

All in all it was turning out to be a perfect day; perfect coat, perfect weather.  And the Doctor was not only in fine fettle, he'd even noticed what she was wearing.  She'd had a difficult time keeping her 'why thank you.' entirely casual, and had socked him in the elbow to obscure the potency of her affection for him.

"Perfect timing, It's a quarter to five."

Last edited by SarahJane on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
5th Doctor
Student
Student
5th Doctor

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 4:32 pm

The Doctor emerged from his TARDIS and took in the scenery that laid before him. She had landed on a small hillside overlooking the town, but what was most extraordinary was the view of the mountains. For once,he thought, the old girl got it right. He turned round to lock up the TARDIS. "Not a bad choice at all, Sarah. A perfect location for a holiday. No Zygons, no Sutekh, no Daleks....as far as we can tell."

He looked down at Sarah and gave her a little wink and one of his trademark ear-to-ear cheeky smiles, held out his elbow for her, and began to walk down the trail towards the town. The trail itself was made of cobblestone, native to the area and time, but aged for several years. It saw much wear and tear and obviously was used quite a lot.

The Doctor's boots made a soft clop on the stones as he and Sarah walked down the hill. He was pointing out all the little native species of birds and flowers that seemed to crop up as they walked by. As the pair proceeded closer to the town, the smell of pine and maple continued to waft stronger and stronger. Then a pungent piercing stench protruded the sweet smells, sending a minor grimace to the Doctor's face.

The Doctor reached into his pocket to pull out a handkerchief for the both of them, but by the time he pulled them out of his pocket the stench had retreated, and the pleasant combination of pine and maple had resumed. "Now that was awfully strange, don't you think Sarah?" He looked down at her with that mild curiosity in his eyes, burning to investigate.
Back to top Go down
SarahJane
Student
Student
SarahJane

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 8:15 pm

He came and stood beside her, a looming and welcome presence.  It was shaping up into a very good day.

"Not a bad choice at all, Sarah. A perfect location for a holiday. No Zygons, no Sutekh, no Daleks....as far as we can tell."

"Daleks?" She drawled loudly in slightly affronted, mock disbelief. "Aww now-" She grinned up at him, "You won't find any Daleks here, not on good old Earth.  Not even in the Colonies.  There might be a labor boss or three who need a good talking to, but they'll be a piece of cake after the likes of Sutekh!"

His face was full of easy joy, and she felt the same.  There was no where else in the whole Universe she'd rather be than here with her fine friend.  It was a Holiday.  With the Doctor, it almost always was.  She returned his wink feeling very much in accord with him.  His smile was as warm as the gentle sun on her.  She slipped her fingers into the crook of his arm as he offered it, and took hold her skirt with the other, ready to lift it over the scrubby shrubs.  

Along their walk he started doing what he always did, telling her the names of things and little unexpected facts about them.  It was almost as if he'd forgotten this was her home planet, but she did not remind him of that because frankly, she could listen to him talk all day.  She didn't even correct him when he called a simple Lapwing a Lark.  When they hit the flat she let go his arm and started ranging ahead collecting wild flowers.  Having gathered half a fistful, she decided to get the Doctor's help in sorting out what kinds she held.

When she turned to him, he was looking at her with a rather sour expression, and she wondered what gloom had taken his complicated Time Lord mind.  She couldn't leave him alone for a minute now, could she?  In the next breath, however, she knew she was wrong.  It wasn't his memories or some obscure math problem that  plagued him, but an acrid smell that had her wrinkling up her own face in equal distaste.  Now she held the flowers in one hand, and her nose between her thumb and pointer finger of the other hand.  She was hurrying back to his side.

"Whad isth tha' thtench?", she insisted, knowing he'd produce something useful from his pockets.  Handkerchiefs! Perfect.  She was reaching for one when he stopped, the sqwinch leaving his face, and staying so even as he sniffed the air again.  Experimentally, she let go of her nose.  Whatever it was, it had blown past in the gentle wind.

"Now that was awfully strange, don't you think Sarah?"

She was not surprised he wanted to find the stinky thing.  If she had recognized the smell, she would have dragged him into town before they could locate whatever it was that smelled so badly.  As it was, she was reluctantly, equally curious.  

"I suppose the town might be a bit ripe, but not like that!  And not come and gone in a few breaths.  What could it be?" she mused, confused, pressing the haphazard bouquet to her face, it's wild spice clearing the last of the rot from nose.  She looked up at him, expecting answers.  He almost always had answers.  Whatever it was, she hoped it would be inside the town and closer to potential shopping.

Last edited by SarahJane on Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:25 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
5th Doctor
Student
Student
5th Doctor

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 9:24 pm

"I've smelled a number of things in my lifetime, Sarah Jane, but that was an entirely new smell to me. But there's always one way to find out." He looked off down farther into the path. "We aren't too far away from town, we might as well see if that's where it came from!"

The Doctor began to walk down the path with a sense of urgent curiosity. There wasn't a thing in this world that could have stopped him from getting to the town in a matter of minutes. Nothing except...he turned around. "Sarah?"

He called again. "SARAH JANE?!" No answer. Where had the Doctor gone? What happened to Sarah jane?

When the Doctor turned around again, he was met with mild fog that had begun to settle onto the path. The bright sunny sky that the Doctor once basked in now turned a shade of purple-green. The Doctor walked the way he came, trying desperately to find Sarah Jane or the path they had once been on.

A flash of lightning struck across the sky. The sky started to swirl and rumble with massively ground-trembling thunder. In the mists, the Doctor scoured the trees and foliage for the path. He stumbled over stumps and thornbushes, tangling his scarf in the malicious flora he was submerged in.

The Doctor stopped and looked around, but the sky had turned the surrounding area so dark he could barely see in front of him. His only salvation was the lightning which had provided a brief glimpse of his path ahead of him. In the flashes, he began to make out shapes and figures that seemed a little bit too suspicious to be normal flora or fauna....

In a brief moment of fear and instinct, the Doctor ran off into the forest, and in a matter of moments, the Doctor returned to the path where he had last seen Sarah, almost as if nothing had happened. As he stood before her, out of breath and mildly disturbed, he checked himself. His boots were clean and shiny, just as the moment he put them on. His scarf was taut and fresh off the needles from Madame Nostradamus. His coat was pristine and still smelled of a pleasant musk of age that seemed nearly indescribably synonymous with the TARDIS wardrobe.

"Did you see that? Were you...I didn't....I haven't ran like that for ages Zoë....Sarah.."
Back to top Go down
SarahJane
Student
Student
SarahJane

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 11:16 pm

With the tenacity of a hound that had caught a scent, the Doctor started striding down the path.  It doubled the mystery that not even he could say what that eye watering smell had been, for she figured he'd had time to smell just about everything there was to smell over the last 740 odd years he claimed.  He may have confused a lapwing for a lark, but in general, she found he knew at least something about just about everything.  Well, unless he didn't, and when the Doctor came across something new, inevitably he would hunt it down and study it until he understood.

He'd taken off long legged ahead of her, his lean and upright figure festooned in hat, scarf and fine coat.  She skipped a bit to keep up, content to follow him to answers as a school child after a butterfly.  The Doctor was just about as predictable.   His unpredictability, however, reached a new high as he disappeared before her eyes.  Her mouth popped open round as an o and her feet stuttered to a stop.

"Doctor?"
 She spun about, wondering if he was somehow behind her.  He was not, and her heart began to pound, the rims of her ears instantly hot.  "Doctor?! Dooctooor!!" Anyone listening might have assumed she was quite cross with him, and she was in a rather irrational way.   "DOCTOR!!!"

Even as she turned about looking for any trace of him, her own breath loud in her ears, her mind was replaying what she had just seen.  He hadn't just winked out, it seemed as though he'd been submerged, standing.  The landscape ahead had seemed to swallow him like water, closing around him as he strode into it.  Sarah Jane Smith stomped a foot, her hands curling into fists.  It was easier to be angry at him than to be frightened for him.

"Doctor!"

Then she heard something.  A soft sound that rose gooseflesh on her arms and up the back of her neck.  She whipped around to see that nothing had changed.  She knew she had heard something beyond the pounding in her eardrums.  She took some deep breaths and made herself calm down a little, then closed her eye to really, really listen.

Calliope music.  It was soft and faded in and out.  She cocked her head to be sure.  Yes, it was Calliope music, and boldly, blindly, she followed it.  It only took a few steps before she seemed to be as close as she could get, though it sounded distant still.  She vigorously rubbed her arms, opening her eyes to find herself almost exactly where she'd left the path in the first place.

"Doctor?" Her voice was as soft a whisper as that elusive music, and her face screwed up as if she might cry. She stomped her foot again, setting her jaw and grinding her teeth.  Be realistic, where could he be? She thought to herself.  The town was the only place he could possibly be and she gathered herself, started toward it.  He had to be there.  He just had to be, and if not him, she'd find answers there.

Then he appeared.  He ran right out of nowhere, wild eyed and heading for her.  She ran toward him, the terrible tension in her chest releasing to allow her to breath again.

"DOCtor!" she stopped about an arms reach away, eyes searching his form for any harm that might have befallen him.  He was out of breath and scattered, but seemed to have come through with a set of arms and legs each, and her favorite part, his head. "Are you alright?!"  She touched his sleeve just to be certain he was real.

"Did you see that? Were you...I didn't....I haven't ran like that for ages Zoë....Sarah.."

"I was right here.  You disappeared. The air just seemed to swallow you.  What happened? What do you mean 'run'? You were right here when you vanished!" She'd taken hold of a fistful of his upper sleeve and was giving him a bit of a shake. "Doctor, what happened?"

Zoe indeed.
 He'd pay for that later when she wasn't so happy to see him.
Back to top Go down
5th Doctor
Student
Student
5th Doctor

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 11:24 pm

The Doctor took a moment to regain his thoughts. "Sarah, a massive episode like that...could only be brought on my an incredible force of psychic energy that is highly unknown on this planet. At least at this point in ti---"

The Doctor was interrupted by a familiar sound: a clang of vespers. The metallic gongs echoed through the forest with a pleasant, warm ring. The Doctor took a deep breath. "Well Sarah, should we proceed?"

The Doctor seemed solemn and steady, seeming to have shaken off the rather disturbing experience that had rummaged through both of their minds. He grabbed his companion's hand with a firm grasp and began to walk in the direction of the town.

As they got closer, the sounds of business and population began to fill the air. Familiar neighs and whinneys of horses hinted through the mass hysteria of a crowd.
Back to top Go down
SarahJane
Student
Student
SarahJane

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 12:38 am

She shook him until he started spilling information.  With a growing sense of doom she listened to his explanation.  It wasn't so much his words, for she had no way of judging the merits or demerits of psychic energy, it was the bleak look on his face, the widening of his bright blue eyes as he worked it out in his head.

The sound of the church bells was so familiar and civilized, it invited her her take a deep breath Right along with the Doctor.  With  little warning and a single nod from her, the he was off down the path again.

Their hands caught, his gripping tight.  He had worried for her wherever it was he had gone.  She was equally glad he had returned.  He was looking awfully serious now though.

"It's all well and good for us to go check if Trinidad has a pungent-smelling psychic toller in the belfry, as long as by 10 tonight we've found exactly where Mother Jones will speak. Right? "

There was a lot to absorb as they reached the fringe of town.  Sometimes she forgot in these backward times, animals were as much a part of the landscape as anything else.  The town sounded riled already, and with sudden clench of her heart, she wondered if somehow they'd come across trouble too late to do any good.  She picked up her pace. flashed a worried look to her friend to see what he was thinking.  She was staring at him when they were stopped at a wide entrance gate.

Cowboys.  Real live cowboys.  Or perhaps Vaqueros.  Well, and they were miner types, not cattle herders, but they stood like they often rode, and their hands came to rest ever so casually on the butts of their guns.  Their hats were incredible, and she wished the was some way to take a picture.

"What is your business here?" They were asked briskly.  Sarah Jane had been thinking of this.
"Hi!" She said, trying to answer before the Doctor. She'd kick him 'round along the back of his leg if he did.  This was Earth after all. "My family Doctor had to come in to buy medicines.  I was told there was work here for women in the textile plant.  The Doctor agreed to escort me."

She gave them 'winning smile #6', the one that implied she was someone's good and eager daughter.  Wholesome without being prudish.

((Please tell me if I'm underestimating what you meant by 'hysteria' of the town.  I'd be happy to go back and spice it up if I've missed the mark. Below is what it looks like when some of these men stand still for a picture.))

The Industrial Circus 6_Mattie_Mine_-_Idaho_Springs__CO
Back to top Go down
5th Doctor
Student
Student
5th Doctor

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 3:43 pm

The Doctor watched as Sarah Jane took the reigns. She pontificated around the heads of the banditos, leaving them scratching their heads and thoroughly convinced that the pair of them were truly from the era.

When Sarah stopped talking, the men turned to the unusually dressed man with a scarf long enough to tie up this damsel on the railroad tracks. Or maybe two. "An' whatterya say to that there, Scarfie?"

With charm and grace, and possibly some really bad accent training, the Doctor replied "Well, yer see here friends, the little gal had it right. We're just swingin' by to pick up some supplies at the General Store. Plus I have a friend in the mill that needs to see me, and if I beggin' yer pardon, we need to be heading that way soon."

He looked down to Sarah for approval, who was giving him her shaking head of disapproval. The men were silent for a moment, perhaps befuddled by the man who seemed to have either migrated from Texas or had a really bad accent. Either way, they let the pair pass. As they did, the Doctor tipped his hat at the men, and continued past into the town itself.

They walked past saloons and general stores, law offices, houses of ill-repute, and casual inns. The town had a fairly large population, all walking through the shops and stores, crowding the saloons and most likely put into the jail. As the Doctor scanned the town, taking in it's simple beauty, his eye caught a gathering in the center of town. A large podium was set up on the stage, complete with patriotic bunting and banners. This was where they needed to be.
Back to top Go down
SarahJane
Student
Student
SarahJane

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 7:19 pm

It was quite an invitation the man handed her friend.  Sarah was equally curious as to what 'Scarfie' may have to say.  For her part, it was now enough to keep her wide, pressed-lip smile from breaking into a span of teeth or even a burst of anticipatory laughter. Whatever she might have been expecting, the Doctor's answer wasn't it.  She'd been less surprised to hear him speak Judoon the first time than to hear his Colony twang now, as thick as any street poppy seller in the low streets of London.

Maybe he was getting it right, but even if he was, he didn't look as if he should.  The Doctor looked too much a scholar compared to the rough if tidy men before them, she could see it in their eyes.  When her friend's twinkly eyes met hers she gave him a shake of her head.  He'd better settle down or they'd be breaking out of whatever they called the local prison here.  His eyes popped with a bit of surprise at her reaction, but he quieted down and a few more smiles from them both and they were allowed to slip into the small town.  As soon as they were around the bend, she gave him a good sock in the arm for calling her a 'little gal'.

Like twin stars, each leading in turn, they wound their way around the town.  Sarah had never seen so many things made out of rough wood and rusting metal.  The people looked tired and hearty.  She saw kindnesses and stinginess in equal measure. She also saw the same name on every building.  Dingham Bank.  Dingham Grocery.  Dingham Road. Dingham Sundry.  She saw the name even on the flour sacks and at horse Farrier's stable.  It was the Doctor who found the town center.   When she saw how they'd prettied it up, her suspicions began.

"It is where we need to be." She agreed, looking at the bunting with a narrowed eye. "We won't find Mother Jones there, but I have a feeling we're about to meet Mr.Dingham."  A crowd was gathering there.  Knowing what she did of American history, she looked around the edges, unsurprised to see rough looking armed men at the edges.  They were looking at the people in attendance, not at the small, sweet little marching band that was making it's way center-ward now.

Her hand found his, not wanting to loose him in the growing crowd.  She gave him a challenging look.  It was clear that whomever was about to speak next, she wanted to be standing near the front row.  She did not know it, but 'Mr.Dingham' was not entirely human.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Industrial Circus   The Industrial Circus I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Industrial Circus
Page 1 of 1