Doctor Who RP
Please Log In or Register to enter Smile
Doctor Who RP
Please Log In or Register to enter Smile
Doctor Who RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctor Who RP

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Curse Of The Lost Ones (Rhy and Brooke)
One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 1:03 am by Brooke/Charity

» (OPEN) You Don't Belong Here
One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 10:08 pm by Alice Robinson

» Who has two thumbs and is back in business? This guy!
One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 4:19 am by Brax

» Back in Town
One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 11:03 pm by Sayo/9Th Doctor

» #plotting?
One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 1:47 pm by 625

» The Awakening
One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 12:19 pm by Brooke/Charity

» My favourite game (Open)
One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 11:44 am by Brax

» Wibbly wobbly returny stuff
One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 11:24 am by Brax

» Icecream Heals Everything
One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2019 6:00 am by 10th Doctor/Eric Jason

Top posters
Sayo/9Th Doctor
One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_vote_lcapOne Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_voting_barOne Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_vote_rcap 
10th Doctor/Eric Jason
One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_vote_lcapOne Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_voting_barOne Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_vote_rcap 
Robin
Lucius Tyler Vulneras
Brax
Brooke/Charity
Theta Sigma
Master
Doctor Meta Z
Quinn
Most Viewed Topics
Meeting in RL
The Time Rewritten
Our RL Names
Another Day Another Dollar
Distant Winds
Delirious on Delirium
The Night of Sirens
The Name Of The Doctor
Oi! Watch It Time Girl!
Character Creation Template

One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Robin
Administrator
Administrator
Robin

One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other Empty
PostSubject: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 7:44 pm

Kai frowned. It was cold.

In preparation for an incoming mermaid, a new tank had been build for the two of them to share. It wasn't quite as deep as her old one, and it had land, for some reason, but it wasn't too horrible. Her biggest complaint was that it was cold. Actually besides the depth and the temperature, it was pretty nice. It was bigger than her old tank was - probably to accommodate multiple syreni, now. She liked it. It seemed the visitors did, too, when she was up for swimming around. 

Still. It was frick fracking freezing in here. Maybe that was a temporary thing? She sure hoped it was. She would much rather curl into the corner and huddle for warmth than take advantage of her new tank. She could see, through the glass, where her old tank used to be. It was covered up for now until they could properly dispose of it. She wondered why they didn't just expand that one? Maybe adding the useless land part was just easier this way. Or something.

Kai was actually quite curious about who would be joining her in here. They put that land there for a reason, right? Maybe the new syreni was like... a different species? Maybe it wasn't even called a syreni. Could it walk on land? Did it have legs, like the humans did? What language did it speak? Was it sentient, like she was, or was it more like the fish? Despite her chill, Kai found herself swimming slow laps around the pool while in thought. Maybe they were why this tank was so cold. She hoped not. 

Gosh, she was getting impatient. When were they bringing them in?
Back to top Go down
Brooke/Charity
Brooke/Charity

Location : In the Tardis! | Brooke: In the Tardis Library, of course.

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 9:16 pm

One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other C646993_821379aa345990acc80e7d1161485c6d

Nessa was dreading this move. Maybe it would be better, but usually when she had to move from one place to another, it was a move for the worst. She was currently being transported in a tank that was about the size of a coffin, but made of glass. The lid on it didn't allow much air in, so she was really hoping this trip wouldn't take too long. She curled up in the tank with her fin wrapped around her a bit, and wondered what the new tank would be like. She hoped there weren't any sharks or anything in it. She still had nightmares about that place...

After what seemed like hours, the thing which her travel tank was loaded onto stopped moving and Nessa lifted her head. She had been half in a doze, but now she was alert again and waiting to see what would happen next. The dark panels were moved suddenly and light flooded in. Nessa put a hand up to shield her eyes, and was still half blinded from the bright sunlight as her tank was rolled somewhere. She wondered how heavy this tank was, because it had to be about a hundred gallon tank, and she could imagine it must be incredibly heavy, even though it wasn't really big enough for her. She longed to have the lid come off of it so she could sit up and get some fresh air. Just because she could breath underwater as well as out of water, didn't mean she liked being trapped in there any more than a human would like being trapped in a sealed coffin.

After all the papers were signed, the large tank was lowered down onto the land part of the new mermaid exhibit, by the people who worked there. Nessa looked around and saw just a little bit of what was to be her new home for..who knows how long. Finally, the much anticipated moment came. The lid was unfastened and removed. Nessa cautiously sat up and breathed deeply, then one of the workers lifted her out of the tank and put her in the water. Sort of more like dumped her in, but he probably didn't mean to.. maybe she was heavier than he anticipated?

Either way, the drop into the water caught her by surprise, and it was shockingly cold. She gasped as she hit the water, but that was under the water of course, and she didn't move for a moment because of the cold, then she wrapped her arms around herself and curled her tail around her a little as well. She looked around her new surroundings with wide eyes..
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorcking.com
Robin
Administrator
Administrator
Robin

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Kai was jolted from her thoughts by the loud splash behind her. She turned quickly, waiting for the bubbles to clear near the new form so she could see what they looked like. She edged closer, looking up and down the girl's form. Or at least she assumed it was a girl. She looked quite like the female humans did, at least. Actually, she looked a whole lot like a human. Just... with a tail. Even she didn't have a tail - she thought that was some kind of myth. Guess she was wrong about that.

As she noted the differences, she began to realize that - while she had countless questions to ask her new tank mate - she wasn't sure she would understand her. Kai didn't know much human, or whatever they called their words. All she knew was "human" and "mermaid", which she assumed to be their term for syreni. She was still vague about what a "fish" was, and a little confused about "water" and "wet", which seemed to go hand in hand, most times she heard them. Maybe this other syreni didn't know human, either. But who knew what she communicated with?

Well, she wasn't about to find out by just gawking at her.

"Can you understand me? Do you know what I'm saying?"
Back to top Go down
Brooke/Charity
Brooke/Charity

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 9:46 pm

Nessa had barely begun to take in her surroundings, when suddenly she saw one like her. She was surprised to see another..sort of like herself.. not far away from her. She widened her eyes a little at that. She actually had never seen another mermaid before. Was this what they looked like? Was she, perhaps, different after having lived among humans? She wasn't sure if that happened, but her tail did change color depending on her mood, so maybe?

Suddenly she heard the other speaking to her, but her mouth didn't move. How did she do that? Nessa tilted her head to the side curiously, then nodded in reply to the question. She understood her words, but not how she was able to speak them without opening her mouth. She smiled faintly, as it had been long since anyone actually spoke to her. To her, not at her or about her. It was rather nice, actually. But she was curious about this other mermaid.
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator
Robin

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 9:54 pm

Kai's eyes widened in surprise and excitement.

"You can understand me! That's brilliant!"

It had been quite some time since she'd spoken to someone who knew what she was saying. It was starting to feel a bit lonely, even with the constant attention from visitors and trainers. Of course, the humans tried to treat her nicely, but she could tell it was hard. It was hard for her, too. They just didn't seem very smart when they didn't understand a word she was telling them.

But now someone could! And it was fantastic. More importantly than finding a conversation partner, though, she could ask questions. And boy, did she have some questions.

"Are you like a human? 'Cause you've got human skin. Can you speak human? Can you breathe air? Is that why they've put that land there? Are you used to cold water or are they just really bad at regulating the temperature?" Kai's face broke into a grin, quite pleased with the prospect of acquiring new information.
Back to top Go down
Brooke/Charity
Brooke/Charity

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Nessa was a little surprised by the barrage of questions, but she could understand. Who knows how long the other mermaid had been here without anyone to talk to. She looked around the new 'habitat' a bit while she was being questioned. She still hadn't taken in all the new sights. She supposed she would have plenty of time to explore, but she wondered if there were others besides..whatever her name might be.

She attempted a smile, although it would appear a bit sad, and tried to think of how to answer her questions. Should she just think them? It would seem as if the other mermaid was sending the messages by her mind. She decided to try that. She tried to address each question in turn, in the order they were given to her in.
'I.. I used to live with a human family as a child, but they died, and I was taken prisoner. I do speak human but they don't usually listen to me. I can breathe on both land and in water, but I don't know why they put the land. The water is cold to me too, I don't like it like this.' She tried to think if she had left out any of the questions. Now..did the other mermaid even get the answers to her questions, or did she need to figure out another way to reply to her?
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator
Robin

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Kai.... heard her? Maybe. She was pretty sure she heard her, but she wasn't expecting the response to be that quiet. Maybe she wasn't used to speaking like she did. Still, she got her answers, even if they were a bit muddled, so time to draw some conclusions...

She stayed still, a small frown of concentration on her face as she thought. So she wasn't quite a human, but she did stay with some for a while, apparently. Also, she COULD breathe the air. Which was pretty useful and actually kind of cool. It was almost like she was some kind of human-syreni hybrid of some sort. That sounded pretty impossible, though. It seemed this newcomer was actually pretty related to the humans, and could probably help translate. Finally, she'd be able to actually talk to her trainers. 

Oh, but now she had so many MORE questions! Did she have a human parent? Did she prefer to breathe in water or air? It didn't seem like telepathy was something she was used to, so how did she talk normally? Did she think being held in these tanks was some kind of prison? (Well... it almost was, but not on purpose, she guessed.) The most important, however...

Kai looked back up from her train of thought with an expression of utmost seriousness.

"Can you tell them to heat the water up, then?"
Back to top Go down
Brooke/Charity
Brooke/Charity

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Nessa watched the other mermaid as she appeared to be thinking. Or waiting? Had her message gone through? Was she waiting on her to reply? She was wondering if she ought to try and figure out another way to send the messages, but then she got a reply back. Turn up the heat? Absolutely, she was all for that idea. She grinned a little back at her, and nodded.

She swam up to the surface and looked around, but the humans had gone back to their side of the tank now. She looked the other way and saw tourist people on the other side of the glass, staring in at them and pointing at the mermaids. She frowned and looked for one of the people who worked at the museum. She frowned and wrapped her arms around herself, trying to make it obvious that she was cold and hoped that maybe one of the humans would help out..
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator
Robin

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 11:01 pm

Kai watched as her new friend (?) swam up to the surface, but was mildly disheartened to see the humans had already gone. She guessed it looked like the mermaid was putting on a good show of being cold, but she wasn't sure that was going to be enough if no one noticed her. Swimming up to the surface of the water, she peeked her eyes out, careful to keep her gills under. 

"Do you think we should try something else? Wait, hang on,"

Diving back down, Kai sped towards the glass of the tank, laying her webbed fingers out for the tourists to see. Maybe if she got enough of the humans looking, she could point their focus towards her tank mate. She tried to move around and visit as much of the glass as she could, getting a fair group of them interested in her movements. One thing she didn't quite understand about humans was why they were so intrigued by her just... living. Still, whatever worked. 

Now that she had some eyes, she took her chance and hurried back towards the edge of the water, sending a splash up towards her partner. She continued to splash, hoping either the humans would get the in-charge ones, or the noise would worry them enough to come looking.

"You're still lookin' cold up there, right? Can't see you, bit busy."
Back to top Go down
Brooke/Charity
Brooke/Charity

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 11:17 pm

Nessa didn't even have to act very much. She was freezing, which made her shiver and she didn't have to pretend to be cold. She watched her tankmate swim off to do something, but she wasn't quite sure what. She moved to sit on the shore, which she recalled used to draw curious people to come look at her. She wasn't sure why. It wasn't like it was anything different than what they could do. Maybe they were just curious to see a mermaid sitting on dry land?

Whatever the case may be, she had a reason for sitting there. It meant she didn't have to keep swimming, which let her also feel the full effects of the cold water..and the air seemed cold too. She pulled her tail around her and tried her best to convey the message that it was TOO COLD in this tank. She looked up a bit. Did they actually have the air conditioner going? Did they have some strange idea that the mermaids liked to be cold?

She shivered and half-curled up, half in and half out of the water. She watched the other mermaid sending splashes toward her, and vaguely remembered playing with her human (adopted) brother in the lake near their home, so long ago. She missed him. And she remembered their mother always used to warn them not to swim in the winter, because the water was too cold and they could get accidentally trapped under the ice, or they might get sick from the cold water, or even catch.. hypo-something-ia. She was a bit worried about that. What if they got sick? For her it wouldn't be the first time, but that didn't mean she wanted it to happen again. She hoped the humans would catch onto what they were trying to tell them, but if they weren't smart enough to listen to Nessa when she tried to tell them she had a family, then why would they listen to her now?
Back to top Go down
Robin
Administrator
Administrator
Robin

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 6:48 pm

Kai was beginning to get annoyed. She'd been splashing for a solid few minutes now, and it was getting old. She glanced at the glass and noticed she was starting to lose attention. Damn it! Why couldn't she just get the attention of the right people? Screw it, if it took her getting in trouble to call them over, so be it.

Kai began to kick and pound at the glass tank, spooking quite a few smaller humans in the process. It wasn't long before the larger ones were carting them off, and, thankfully, telling an attendant that something was wrong. Placing her hands on the glass, she leaned forward and watched as the in-charge human came toward her, looking rather cross. She scowled back, pointing a finger up towards her tankmate. The human sort of looked like they understood? But then they just... walked away. And didn't give her any sort of feedback.

How helpful.

"Don't know if that worked, but if it didn't, it's not going to. You can come back down here now, if you want."
Back to top Go down
Brooke/Charity
Brooke/Charity

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 7:05 pm

Nessa had been making a show of shivering and acting as cold as she could, but she didn't know if the people were going to do anything about it. She wondered if she ought to try yelling out that she was cold. She looked around but the humans didn't seem to be near enough to hear her if she called out. So what were they to do? Freeze to death? She sighed and slipped into the cold water again, then looked around for the other mermaid.

'Sorry that didn't work. Maybe they'll still figure it out another time.' She tried to send the message to the other mermaid. Then, she realized something. They didn't even know each other's names. Did the other one have a name? She wasn't sure if mermaids actually had names 'in the wild', but she had lived among humans who had given her a name. She frowned, thinking over that. 'My name is Nessa, by the way.' She hoped the message was going through..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other   One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One Of These Fins Is Not Like The Other
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Doctor Who RP :: Role Plays :: Closed RP's-
Jump to: